|Title||Journal of a Tour in France, Switzerland, and Italy, during the Years 1819, 20, and 21. Illustrated by Fifty Lithographic Prints, from Original Drawings, Taken in Italy, the Alps, and the Pyrenees. By Marianne Colston. In Two Volumes.|
|Publisher’s imprint||London: Printed for G. and W. B. Whittaker, Ave-Maria Lane. 1823.|
|Printer’s colophon||Printed by Weed and Rider, Little Britain, London.|
|Format||8o; 2 vols: pp. x. 404(I), 332(II); plates|
|Sources||Brand; NSTC 2C32224; PC; Robinson|
|Copy inspected||Google NYPL, vol. 1 (lacks plates)|
1) Dedicated ‘To Miss Eliza Jenkins, of Stone, Glocestershire’ [unidentified; probably either a cousin or aunt]. The text also includes verses and sonnets attributed to Marianne's mother, S[arah]. J[enkins].
2) Editions: Paris1822 (Published by A. and W. Galignani, at the English, French, Italian, German and Spanish Library, No. 18, Rue Vivienne. 1822). The Galignani edition is in fact the 1st edition. The London edition described above appears to be a reprint of this Paris edition, including the placement of the table of contents in the continental manner at the end of each volume.
3) The plates were published in a companion volume in folio: Plates Illustrative of a Journal of a Tour in France, Switzerland, and Italy, from Original Drawings Taken in France, the Alps, and the Pyrenees. London: G. & W. B. Whittaker, 1823.
4) Reviews: London Literary Gaz. 311 (Jan. 1823): 1-2; Edinburgh Mag. 12 (Feb. 1823): 231-36; European Mag. 83 (July 1823): 69-72; Monthly Rev. 102 (Nov. 1823): 305-15; Galignani's Mag. 6.23 (Dec. 1823): 242-48 [repr. of Monthly Rev.]; Heidelberger Jahrbücher der Literatur 2.51 (1825): 815-16, cont. 2.52 (1825): 817-26; Neue allgemeine geographische und statistische ephemeriden 19 (1826): 311 [signed 'G. H.'].
5) Full text links: Google, vol. 1
|BTW record no.||BTW1040|
|Regions||France; Switzerland; Italy|