Morgan, Mary née Gibbs, 1749—1808
Mary Morgan was born in 1749, the daughter of Joseph Gibbs (1698-1788; ODNB), organist of St. Mary's Tower, Ipswich, and Mary Gibbs (c.1701-1766). She married the Rev. Caesar Morgan (1750-1812), later Prebendary of Ely Cathedral and Rector of Stretham, probably in 1776, at which time he 'vacated by marriage' (Holden v) a fellowship at Corpus Christi College, Cambridge, where he was a pupil of William Paley. Caesar Morgan was himself from Pembrokeshire, hence the choice of a destination in A Tour which Mary Morgan 'for many years looked forward to' (1). Mary Morgan died 11 July 1808 after a long illness, and is memorialized on a tablet in Ely Cathedral.
‘Cæsar Morgan, D. D.’ The History and Antiquities of the Conventual & Cathedral Church of Ely. Ed. James Bentham. 2nd ed. 2 vols. Norwich: Stevenson, Matchett, and Stevenson, 1812. Vol. 1, p. 18.
‘Cambridgeshire’ [obituary for MM]. Athenaeum 4 (Oct. 1808): 361-62.
‘Gibbs Samuel  Bookseller 1730-1816’. Colchester People: The John Bensusan Butt Biographical Dictionary of Eighteenth Century Colchester. Ed. Shani D’Cruze. Privately published, 2010. Vol. 1, p. 287.
Holden, H. A., ed. An Investigation of the Trinity of Plato and of Philo Judæus. By Cæsar Morgan. [New ed.] Cambridge, 1853.
Middleton, L. M. ‘Gibbs, Joseph (1699-1788). Rev. K. D. Reynolds. ODNB. Oxford University Press, 2004.
|A Tour to Milford Haven||1795|